Monday, July 8, 2013

The Dread Eye's Phantom Conversion WIP part 3

Since the priming wasn't going the way I thought it would I decided to try to finish the rest of the modifications first. First up is the decks. To do this part I used the templates found in part 1. Other materials I used are a couple of plastic garage sale signs and wooden sticks found at Wal-Mart.


So, first I traced the back of the garage sale signs with my templates and cut them out. Then I made small adjustments to make sure they fit on their respective decks. Then I started gluing down the sticks using super glue. I used Loctite brand, but any super glue should be fine. I also staggered the sticks so they don't all just line up.


I found that just making small dots, see below, worked best as to not use to much glue. You don't want to get any glue on top of the wooden sticks as it will not stain/paint the same.


Once finished I trimmed off the unneeded portions of the wooden sticks. I used a razor blade and scissors to to do this. This was the hardest part, and the most time consuming part. You want to be careful so you don't split the wooden sticks.

Bottom of deck before trimming
Top of deck after trimming


I repeated this for the remaining decks. Here is a few more pictures of the 2 of the decks in place.



Now, if you wanted to stain them to keep the nice real wood look would be the time to do this. However, I will be painting them on this ship to match the lower stern deck that will not have a replacement deck made for it.

As you can see I have left the stairs in tack, but Heroscape miniatures, or any miniatures would not fit onto them. So, I have modified a Heroscape ladder rung to fit on them. Here are a couple before and after shots.



I used a dremel to do this and if I was to do this for every stair step I would need to do this to 20 ladder rungs. However, I will be making a mold of my single modified ladder rung and then casting the needed amount. Once this is done I will glue them into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment