Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Dread Eye's Phantom Conversion WIP part 2

Alright, as I mentioned before I will not be making a deck to cover the lower stern (back) deck as I want to keep the feeding hole. So, I filled the holes with bondo and let it dry. I then sanded it down so it would be smooth. Next, I scribed some lines into it to help blend it.


Now it is on to priming.


This is turning out to be more difficult then I was anticipating for the gun ports. They are able to "glow" because they are a clear blue rubber. However, this has made covering them with tape for painting extremely difficult. Normally I would just use masking tape but I couldn't get it to stick at all. So, I resorted to duck tape.


I was able to get some duck tape to stick long enough to get one of the lower sets done. Hopefully I can do the same for the remaining gun ports...it is just going to take longer then I thought it would. I think I will take a break from priming until I have finished the the rest of the modifications.


6 comments:

  1. Couldnt you tear apart the ship to remove the blue parts? I need to check how they are connected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try to see if I could remove the blue rubber parts, but I was afraid that I was going to break the pieces holding them. So, I tried duck tape, but that isn't sticking as well as I would like. Thus making it harder then it should be, it will still work it will just take patience.


      You could always try cutting them out and replacing them with custom made paneling/gun ports.

      Delete
  2. Man I missed seeing your updates, its been a while. After returning here and seeing what you have done I want to go back and start working on mine again !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you saw this all finished but here is the link to the display of this. http://heroscapewargame.blogspot.com/2014/02/boneyard-dread-eyes-phantom-display.html

      I really need to finish the Black Pearl...still trying to decide the color scheme though.

      I hope you do get back to working on your fleet soon. I could use some inspiration and motivation.

      Delete
  3. Its been years, yet I keep coming back and re-reading your post. I have always found them interesting and they make me want to go back and finish the dozen ships I have mid-conversion....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy that it has been so long! I still have my Black Pearl mid-conversion sitting on my work station. Maybe I will be able to start it back up next month...we will see, then I will be rereading your posts again. :-)

      Delete