Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Dread Eye's Phantom Conversion WIP part 1

Well I would have some more pictures to post of what the ship looked like before starting its Heroscape conversion, but my wife was out of town when I started and she had the camera. So, this will have to due to give you an idea of what it looked like before I started...except mine didn't have any of the masts, sails, or bone shrine for the top deck.

Not my ship...picture from an ebay auction.

The first step is to determine what pegs you need to keep for attachment of things like the masts, etc. then remove the rest. This is the most tedious part of the project. I used a dremel to do this.




Now its time to make templates of the decks. This took a good couple of hours to get them just right. This will be used to create the new decks and act as a stencil for the hex layout. But I am going to save you some time and provide a PDF of the deck templates with the hex outline on them.




If you don't like the hex layout that I chose, as I decided to maximize the number of hexes rather then match it to actual hex layout you will need to print/create the deck templates then you will need to print the Hex Grid and cut out the hexes to be able to trace onto your templates.



For the lower of the two back decks I decided to try to repair the holes left from the peg removal as I want to keep the "feeding" pit/hole rather then covering it up like the over decks. I used bondo to cover them up the holes but anything similar would work. Now I will wait for it to dry and them I can scribe some detail back into it.



One of the coolest parts of this ship is that the hull lights up...but it doesn't light up the canon ports like you would expect.

Not my ship, as mine is still in pieces. Picture from HERE.

Well I am going to try to fix that by drilling holes above the LEDs to allow the light to reach the canon ports like so:


You might be thinking that I just ruined the lower deck but I plan on sealing this off so that the lighting up effect is greatest and I really only planed on using the top decks for game play.

Well that is it for today more coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment