Saturday, November 5, 2022

Heroscape Age of Annihilation

So this is a really late post but Hasbro is try to relaunch Heroscape through Avalon Hill on HasLab-Hasbropulse. I guess it is there way of doing a pre-order/Kickstarter campaign. It has a number of long time members of the Heroscapers.com community as designers along with Craig Van Ness the games original designer leading the rebirth. It is called Heroscape Age of Annihilation. 


When I first saw it announced I really didn't believe it. It showed professionally painted and based miniatures, which would be great but showing off minis with that much detail and not original Heroscape bases I didn't believe it. Well I was right not to believe the figures would come painted like they used to, because they wont. I know this is a big turn off for most, but they are not only changing to painted figures they are also adding new Valkyrie Generals, and then separating everything even further into five factions...based on the color of the plastic they are printed in, I think. 

I really want to be excited about this, but I just am not. I can get past the unpainted miniatures, I enjoy painting minis and most of my customs are painted, that's not the problem. The problem is the need to change/fast-forward the story behind the game.  There is no reason to do this, none of the new units draw from the strength of what made Heroscape great: historical units and pop-cultural inspired units, mixed with fantasy and sci-fi. This new version is all steampunk and sci-fi/war hammer style units. Only the "stretch goal" units are new versions of familiar heroes, and are unlikely to be achieved. 

The campaign will only fund and go into production if they sell 8000 copies. There is only the one tier with no add-ons, it is all of it or nothing at $250. The price for what you get is not bad, but it is a steep price for a new player to get into a game. 

I don't think it will succeed, but it would be kind of cool to have some official new Heroscape figures to add to the collection.  We will find out on November 15, 2022, and if it does wait at least a year until they are delivered. 

 Anyway, here are some images of the beta cards:



























Stretch goal figures:













New artwork of Kyrie that I don't believe are included in the game...










1 comment:

  1. I am sad it didn't get funded too. I feel the units where designed well but that it wasn't really the Heroscape we know. Maybe they will learn what they did wrong and try again. I may try to find or make figures for the cards that were revealed, but not sure if I would use their new Generals as they are really just replacements for Valkrill and my custom General Brandar.

    ReplyDelete