Monday, February 10, 2014

The Dread Eye's Phantom Conversion WIP part 10

Well I thought that I was done but I decided to make a base plate for the ship to sit on. This will make placing it on a map a little quicker. I used foam board because I have a bunch and it made it very quick to complete. Here is the cut out base plate showing the hex footprint.


I painted it a dark blue and then painted on the three hexes that a figure could stand on a lither shade of blue. I left the portion the ship hull would cover up unpainted making it easy to place the ship onto. Here is the ship placed on it.


Really I could have stopped at this point and just put on a clear coat to protect the paint. But I wanted to try some water effects. To do this I used the following:

Clear silicone caulking
Caulking gun
Popsicle stick
Plastic spoon



Now time for the fun part. Apply the caulking to the base plate, don't worry it is white but it will dry clear...if you bought the CLEAR kind.


Now use the popsicle stick to spread the silicone over the base plate. I didn't spread any on the unpainted portion.


Next it is time to create the water texture using the spoon. The easiest way to describe this process is to repeatedly hit the spread out silicone until you get the desired look.


Then let it dry. The thicker the silicone the longer it will take to dry.   


I am pretty happy with the results. There was some warping with once it was dry, but I was able to bend it so it would lay flat again.






No comments:

Post a Comment