Thursday, July 10, 2014

TMNT Neutrino Hot Rod WIP part 1

After a much needed vacation I am back home and ready to start working on more customs. I have decided to start with something I could finish quickly, as to give myself some motivation to tackle bigger projects and playtesting that needs to be done. 

I really love the TMNT and as mentioned in my last UPDATE I am working on many more customs to complete my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle universe for Heroscape. With the current ongoing TMNT comics by IDW the Neutrinos get a huge make over from the original cartoon. I will base my Neutrino customs on the IDW comics, the one exception to this will be Zak; he will be a mix between the original cartoon and the ongoing IDW comic. He will be a solider as in the IDW comics but he will have a flying "Hot Rod" like from the original cartoon. 

Here are a few pictures that I will be using as references and inspiration for this custom:



I really loved the Foot Cruiser as a kid and I liked how the wheels folded under the car. I will be doing the same here because it will be easier and I then will not have to paint the car once finished.

Okay then time to get started. First thing needed is a 1:43 scale car that looks the part. I used a red 1955 Cadilac Eldorado made by New Ray. Here it is next to Donatello and on some tiles to show its scale (note:I have already removed the base the car was on).



Now Time to flip it over and remove the 2 screws that are holding the car together. 



Next removing the wheels from the axles. This is down by puling really hard. Once one of the wheels is removed you can then remove the axle from the body and remove the remaining wheel. 



Now time to do a little trimming on the wheels so they can be glued in place. 




Here they are glued in place:





Now here it is right side up and next to its large peanut base. I now need to measure and drill the holes into the base for the clear acrylic support rods and then paint the base black. 



The acrylic rods I am using are 1/8" and I cut them just over 1" and and 1.4" long. But you can cut them to any length, which will change how high off the ground the hot rod is.





Both rods cut and glued in place; still can't believe that those two holes where perfectly placed to insert the rods into. Note: that I cut the rear rod shorter then the front.



Here it is glued onto the base after the base was painted black. As you will notice the car is tilted, both with the front end going up and with the passenger side higher then the driver side. This is so it looks a little more dynamic.



Now to find a figure for Zak to modify, paint, and put in the drivers seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment